Vape Cartridge Label Printing — A Quick Guide
In an era of cleaner smoking options, vape cartridges have become very popular. Similar to their flavored nicotine-based counterparts, vape oils containing THC concentrates provide customers with greater freedom and a better vaping experience. However, regardless of the quality of the product, its success in the market necessitates packaging that offers both the appeal to connect with mass audiences and the flexibility to accurately brand your product.
Typical packaging used for vape cartridges includes blister cards, foil packs, and labels. Blister cards have long been a staple of the packaging industry. They’ve been used to package everything from electronics to medicine and are now being used to market vape cartridges. Like foil packs and labels, they require printers to add the necessary product information.
DoraniX’s ThermaPrint64 and its accessories are up to the task. These high-tech products can easily handle blister pack cards, foil packs, and labels. They have the capability to print labels on oddly shaped packaging materials of various thicknesses, including 10-inch wide blister packs up to a ~0.040-inch thickness (the highest of any standard card). Additionally, they are specifically designed to meet the requirements of both your customers and government regulations.
Equipped with extensive experience designing and manufacturing industrial printers and label printer applicators for various markets, the experts at DoraniX have put together the following guide to vape cartridge label printing. It highlights important label considerations, indicates label design challenges, discusses how the printing equipment works, and identifies what to look for in an ideal vape cartridge label printer.
Vape Cartridge Label 101
There are many factors to consider when designing a label for vape cartridges. Below, we discuss label elements and label materials.
Label Element Considerations
It can be difficult to know what information must be present on a vape cartridge label since the requirements are always changing. However, it is the responsibility of the product supplier to learn and implement all of the necessary guidelines outlined by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and individual states. Some of the key elements that should be included on the label are:
- Brand name
- Product identity
- Business/trade name
- Name and place of business
- State-specific icon indicating cannabis-based products
- Ingredient information
- Net quantity of contents
- Disclaimers and warnings
- Disclosures of important information
Label Material Considerations
The main considerations to keep in mind regarding label materials are the actual label material, the coating, and the adhesive.
- Label material. The general recommendation for the label material is paper or biaxially oriented polypropylene (BOPP). Paper can be used to achieve an organic look and/or add texture and depth. On the other hand, BOPP and other films can be used to achieve a sleek or metallic look. When choosing the label material, the most important factor is order size; the material must help communicate your brand message without surpassing budgetary restrictions.
- Laminate coating. The laminate should provide sufficient protection for vape cartridges and other products that consumers frequently handle.
- Adhesive. The adhesive should be strong enough to keep the label on the container.
Vape Cartridge Label Design Challenges
It can be difficult to make and design your own vape cartridge labels. Most manufacturers and distributors need them in bulk and in a variety of designs and sizes for various products, which increases the time and money that goes into producing and storing them.
There are also compliance issues with labeling, storing, distributing, and selling THC-based products that vary from state to state and, sometimes, between different localities within a state. For example, you may need to include serial or batch numbers, ingredients, and barcodes, which can also vary for different product flavors and strengths.
Then, there’s the branding factor. In a growing market like vape pens and cartridges, you want to stand out by creating a unique logo and package design. You need inks that won’t fade, smear, or bleed if they’re handled or exposed to oils, You also want vibrant colors with fonts that are easy to read without limiting creativity.
Vape Cartridge Label Printing 101
Vape cartridge label printers play a vital role in the production of vape cartridge products. Below, we highlight how they work and what to look for when purchasing one.
How Vape Cartridge Label Printers Work
Industrial vape cartridge label printers typically use thermal printing techniques, which offer high quality and print speed. Our modern vape cartridge label printers can achieve resolutions of 300 DPI and above, ensuring your designs are faithfully reproduced and meet all other specifications.
The integrated computer on the ThermaPrint64 enables users to set the controls for each label printed. Once the specifications are programmed, the printer adds the main logo or label design and unique content to each vape cartridge label. It can handle product serial numbers, barcodes, and variations, such as flavors or product weights. You can even have the design printed right to the edge of the vape cartridge label.
After printing, the machine cuts the vape cartridge labels into a unique shape, if required as part of the design. Then, every label lands in the output tray, ready for packaging. If you have a large order, some systems are equipped with an automated sorting mechanism, which precisely stacks the printed vape cartridge labels by size, design, or another preference.
What to Look for in Vape Cartridge Label Printers
When looking for a vape cartridge label printer, consider your specifications and the average number of print jobs you perform per batch or week. In general, the key features to look for in a cartridge label printer include:
- Print quality — Your first consideration should be print quality. Vape cartridge labels often contain very small print that needs to be legible, precise, and smudge-proof. You want professional results. Our label printers can produce results at up to 300 DPI, which is more than adequate to get the job done.
- Speed — Vape cartridge label print orders generally involve high volumes, so a printing speed of at least 5 inches per second is a must. In addition, many modern printers have a slew capability that allows them to skip over non-printed sections of the card, which greatly improves overall print speed.
- Capacity — Large orders can be produced quicker without diminishing the results when an automated sorting module is used. In many cases, an order for vape cartridge labels contains several types or sizes of packages. Automated sorting means each batch is sorted and stacked into the correct pile.
- Durability — Of course, a booming business needs tough, durable equipment to keep up with demand. Industrial printers need reliable performance and the ability to handle heat, dust, and other environmental elements.
Looking for a vape cartridge label printer that offers high print quality, fast print speeds, large print capacities, and durable construction? The ThermaPrint64 checks all of these boxes! To learn more about the product, contact DoraniX today. For pricing details, request a quote.